Here are a few spiritual truths from the Chronicles of Narnia as listed by Devin Brown in his new book A Life Observed: A Spiritual Biography of C.S. Lewis.
- Evil rarely appears as evil but usually comes disguised as something else.
- Help often comes in an unanticipated form—in a manner so strange it may look like help only when looking back on it.
- Real community is made up of different types of individuals with different gifts and abilities.
- Celebration, joy, and merriment are central to life, not elements reserved only for holidays or vacations.
- The self-centered life is not glamorous, fun, or exciting but leads to death and destruction.
- The virtuous life is an adventure—but one that will involve hardship—and the only path leading to genuine happiness and true fulfillment. (196)