This week I’m offering The Mission of the Church: Five Views in Conversation, edited by Craig Ott. Here’s the catalog description and table of contents:
Leading Voices from across Christian Traditions Discuss the Mission of the Church
What is the mission of the church? Every seminarian and church leader must wrestle with that question. No matter what designation a church uses to describe itself, it must also think critically about why it exists and what it should be doing. In this book, five leading voices representing a range of Christian traditions engage in an enlightening conversation as they present and compare their perspectives on the mission of the church. Each contributor offers his or her view and responds to the other four views. Contributors include Stephen B. Bevans, Darrell L. Guder, Ruth Padilla DeBorst, Edward Rommen, and Ed Stetzer. The book’s format is ideal for classroom use and will also benefit pastors and church leaders.
Introduction, Craig Ott
1. A Prophetic Dialogue Approach, Stephen B. Bevans
2. A Multicultural and Translational Approach, Darrell L. Guder
3. An Integral Transformation Approach, Ruth Padilla DeBorst
4. A Sacramental Vision Approach, Edward Rommen
5. An Evangelical Kingdom Community Approach, Ed Stetzer
6. Response by Stephen B. Bevans
7. Response by Darrell L. Guder
8. Response by Ruth Padilla DeBorst
9. Response by Edward Rommen
10. Response by Ed Stetzer
Leave your name in the comments section no later than Friday, June 9th. I’ll draw the winner’s name that day. If I don’t hear back from the winner within seven days the book will go to another entry.